Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Week 3 of 23 Things : Social Networking

Before reading up on social networking, I was already pretty familiar with both of the sites; one (Facebook) more so than the other.  I had all but sworn off of Twitter because I just felt that it was an overload of people's random thoughts about mostly nothing and I was already getting plenty of that from Facebook.  Since exploring it within the scope of 23 Things, I've had a change of heart and have actually signed up for my own personal account.  I was most impressed with how quickly I learned about some things before the news hit the radio and even some internet news sites I frequent.  So far, I've treated this one different than my Facebook account which I use primarily to keep up with old friends and family members.  I intend to only use my Twitter account to get quick up-to-the-moment information about things that matter enough to me.  I'm being pretty selective about who I follow and don't intend to have a lot of people following me on  this one.  I've had my account now for several weeks and I've only added two people that I follow: Jim Rome and Jemele Hill.  I still don'tunderstand a lot of the Twitter longo like #, RT (retweet?), and @, but with  some practice, I'm sure I'll get it eventually.

1 comment:

  1. As you can imagine, I'm pretty well versed on the Twitterese. Yes, RT indeed means retweet. Twitter didn't originally have built-in retweet capability, so people would indicate a retweet with that prefix. Not really necessary anymore, but still in use.

    ReplyDelete